Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 14. For fun, FREE and cheap outings for MOM this Mother’s Day, Twin Cities on the Cheap has compiled a list of things to do in an around the Twin Cities that will be fun and won’t empty your pocket book.
- Plan your special Day with Mom at the Minnesota Zoo with FREE admission on Sunday, May 14 for Macy’s Mother Day at the Zoo. There will be special offers for Moms both days at the gift store and the Penguin Café. A parking fee is required. Also this year win a $500 Macy’s Gift Card in honor of Mother’s Day, by submitting your entry (in 100 words or less) why Mom’s Rule. Submit your entry between 8 a.m. May 4 and 12 p.m. May 10. The winner to be announced Friday, May 12.
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory will host its annual Mother’s Day Bonsai Show in the Visitor’s Center on May 13-14, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Trained professionals will be on-hand to answer questions about the art of Bonsai. Admission is always FREE at Como, but a voluntary donation of $3/adult and $2/child is appreciated.
- Annual Auxiliary Spring Plant Sale at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, May 13-14, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Take Mom to enjoy the most anticipated event of the year for Minnesota gardeners. All non-member shoppers will receive a complimentary Arboretum entrance pass for future use. Choose from hard-to-find varieties and University of Minnesota introductions. Unique plants and informative garden helpers give you new ideas for your garden. The sale is held at the Arboretum Picnic Shelter area near the Marion Andrus Learning Center. General Arboretum admission applies.Visitors 13 and up $12, 12 and under FREE. [*Bonus there is a Groupon right now for 42% off admission for two – act now to get deal while it lasts]. Or if you just want to visit to enjoy the scenery take Mom to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum on the day after Mother’s Day on Monday, May 15 for FREE as part of its FREE Third Mondays of the Month promotion, Arboretum hours are 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Mother’s Day is Family Day at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts on May 14, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. On the second Sunday of each month, families will have a blast making art, going on artful adventures, meeting local musicians, dancers and storytellers and more. In addition, FREE one hour public tours are offered daily. The theme for the May 14 Family Day is Tea Time, paint a tea cup, use natural dyes to decorate a tea towel, play croquet, look inside a Japanese Tea Room, discover the art of tea.
- Take Mom on a FREE public tour of the Landmark Center in St. Paul on Mother’s Day. Public tours are available for FREE every Sunday at noon. Visitors should meet at the information desk just inside the 5th street entrance. Tours focus on the building’s history, architecture, restoration, preservation and famous and infamous personages. Also on Mother’s Day enjoy the St. Paul Civic Symphony Mother’s Day Concert for FREE starting at 1 p.m.
- Visit a Nature Center or Regional Park on Mother’s Day and spend some quality time with the entire family.
- Richardson Nature Center, Scavenger Hunt – Animal Moms, May 14, 3 – 4 p.m., FREE, Bloomington, Minnesota.
- The Landing, Frontier Families: Finding Wild edibles, May 14, 12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m., $10/person, ages 7+, Shakopee, Minnesota.
- Carpenter Nature Center, Bird Migration Celebration, May 13, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., FREE, 8 a.m. Morning Bird Hike, 8-11 a.m. Bird Banding, 11 a.m. Habitat Hike, events at Wisconsin Campus (300 East Cover Road, Hudson).
- Dodge Nature Center, Volunteer with Mom to work in the garden for its Spring Garden Morning Project, May 13, 9 – 11:30 a.m., for adults to seniors, 365 Marie Avenue, West St. Paul, seeking garden enthusiasts to help clean-up, weed and plant the gardens at the nature center.
- Lee and Rose Warner Nature Center, Bird Migration Celebration, May 13, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., 15375 Norell Avenue North, Marine on the St. Croix, join in for an early morning bird hike, bird banding demonstration and activities for the whole family.
- Tamarack Nature Center, Discovery Walks, May 13, 8 a.m. (Spring Birds), 9 a.m. (Prairie Wildflowers), FREE, no registration required, 5287 Otter Lake Road, White Bear Township.
- Wood Lake Nature Center, Sun Special: Wildflowers, Honey, Ice Cream, 1 – 3 p.m., $3/person or FREE for FOWL members, no pre-registration required.
- Take a Scenic Taylors Falls Boat Tour, excursions offered beginning May 6 for weekend tours starting at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. There is a Groupon being offered currently for 48% off boat tours, which would bring the cost down to $11.50/person. If you plan to go Mother’s Day, buy your Groupon and make your reservation online now to reserve your spot.
- Celebrate with your Mom doing Mother’s Day Rooftop Yoga at the brewery, May 14, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m., Lynlake Brewery, Minneapolis ($22.09/person includes pint of beer).
- Take Mom on a Bird Walk on Gateway Trail, May 13, 7 – 8 a.m., FREE, meet at the Gateway Trail and Hwy. 96 Crossing, registration not required, but if you give notice in advance, they can send an email if cancelled. Or learn about Birds, Buds and Blooms on the Brown’s Creek Trail, May 13, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., FREE, meet at the Stillwater trailhead off North Main Street, join the naturalist on a 4 mile walk along Brown’s Creek Ravine.
If you have another free and fun thing to do, we would like to hear from you. Email Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org.