Looking for things to do in the Twin Cities this weekend, July 13-16? Below is a list of 10 FREE and cheap things you can do with your family, friends or date while enjoying some of the wonderful places the Twin Cities has to offer.
- Enjoy live music, parades, contests, fireworks, free attractions, food and drink and lots more at one the local city festivals. Check out Your Guide to 101 Summer Festivals in and around the Twin Cities Area sponsored by Twin Cities on the Cheap. This weeks festivals include: Lakefront Music Fest in Prior Lake, Duk Duk Daze in New Hope, Highland Fest in the Highland Park Community, Rondo Days in St. Paul and Maple Grove Days in Maple Grove.
- Explore the Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park located at 10360 West River Road in Brooklyn Park, FREE and open to the public 5 a.m. – 10 p.m. See the Mississippi River up close by strolling or biking the 12 foot wide observation walkway on top of the Dam. Hike the trails along the bank of the river while looking for wildlife.
- Get active with St. Paul’s FREE Fitness in the Parks program. Activities on July 15-16 include: Yoga, Bootcamp, Kickboxing, Meditation, Self-Defense, Total Body Conditioning, Running Class, Zumba, Family Capture the Flag and more. Meeting locations include Harriet Island, Phalen Park Beach House, Como Park, Highland Park, Boyd Park, Summit Overlook Park, Indian Mounds Park among others. Click here for a full calendar of event listings and locations.
- Take advantage of Minnesota DNR’s FREE summer I Can! programs for kids, including the I Can Fish!, I Can Camp!, I Can Climb!, I Can Paddle! and I Can Mountain Bike!. This weekends programs include the following:
- Hunt for Bargains at one of the many Thrift Stores around town. Click here for a directory of Thrift Stores in the Twin Cities area.
- Take the Prince for a Day Tour through the Minnesota Nice Ride program or use your own bike and travel from First Avenue in Minneapolis to Prince’s house in the movie Purple Rain on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul. Click here for the Prince for a Day Tour route.
- Get inspired at the Walker Art Center. Gallery admission is FREE every Thursday night, 5 – 9 p.m. While touring the Walker Art Center – don’t forget to take in the famous outdoor Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, admission is always FREE, hours 6 a.m. – 12 p.m. FREE guided tours of the Garden are offered Saturdays and Sundays at at noon. Meet at the Wilf Family Plaza.
- Enjoy FREE or Cheap Yoga in the Twin Cities. Click here for your Summer Guide to Free or Cheap yoga in the Twin Cities. Find yoga this weekend at the Lake Harriet Bandshell, daily at 6:30-7:30 a.m., Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis, Saturdays 8:05-8:50 a.m., St. Paul Union Depot, Saturdays, 9-10 a.m.
- Relax, kick back and enjoy a FREE movie in the park. Click here for your Summer Guide to FREE Summer Movies in the Park sponsored by Twin Cities on the Cheap. This weekend’s movies include: Sleepless in Seattle July 15 in Bloomington, A Dog’s Purpose July 14 in Burnsville, Finding Dory July 14 in New Hope.