Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 13. For fun, FREE and cheap outings for MOM this Mother’s Day, Twin Cities on the Cheap has compiled a list of things to do in an around the Twin Cities that will be fun and won’t empty your pocket book.
- Plan your special Day with Mom at the Minnesota Zoo with FREE admission for Moms on Sunday, May 13 for Macy’s Mother Day at the Zoo. There will be special offers for Moms both days at the gift store and the Penguin Café. A parking fee is required. Also this year win a $500 Macy’s Gift Card in honor of Mother’s Day, by submitting your entry (in 100 words or less) why Mom’s Rule. Contest ends Thursday, May 9 at 12 p.m. The winner to be announced Friday, May 11.
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory will host its annual Mother’s Day Bonsai Show in the Visitor’s Center on May 12-13, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Trained professionals will be on-hand to answer questions about the art of Bonsai. Admission is always FREE at Como, but a voluntary donation of $3/adult and $2/child is appreciated.
- Annual Auxiliary Spring Plant Sale at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum – new location at the Red Barn Farm next to the Tashjian Bee Center (3120 West 82nd Street in Chaska), May 12-13, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Take Mom to enjoy the most anticipated event of the year for Minnesota gardeners. No Admission Charge for the sale. Choose from hard-to-find varieties and University of Minnesota introductions. Unique plants and informative garden helpers give you new ideas for your garden. If you wanted to venture into the arboretum, admission is $15/adult and FREE for ages 15 and under.
- Mother’s Day is Family Day at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts on May 13, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. On the second Sunday of each month, families will have a blast making art, going on artful adventures, meeting local musicians, dancers and storytellers and more. In addition, FREE public tours are offered daily. The theme for the May 13 Family Day is Cardboard Creations.
- Take Mom on a FREE public tour of the Landmark Center in St. Paul on Mother’s Day. Public tours are available for FREE every Sunday at noon. Visitors should meet at the information desk just inside the 5th street entrance. Tours focus on the building’s history, architecture, restoration, preservation and famous and infamous personages. Also on Mother’s Day enjoy the St. Paul Civic Symphony Mother’s Day Concert for FREE starting at 1 p.m.
- Take MOM to the farm for FREE at the Oliver Kelley Farm in Elk River. FREE admission to all Moms on Mother’s Day with paid child ticket. Hours 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Childrens’ tickets are $6 (ages 5-17), FREE ages 5 and under.
If you have another free and fun thing to do, we would like to hear from you. Email Angela at email@example.com.