The Twin Cities has a number of great museums and institutes. Many of them offer free days, discounts and free events on a regular basis.
- The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is always free (except for certain special Exhibitions). Plus every Second Sunday of the month is Family Day (hours 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.). You will have a blast making art, going on artful adventures, meeting local musicians, dancers, storytellers and more.
- The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is always FREE, a must see destination – open daily 6 am – midnight. Visitors are encouraged to download the Interactive Self-Guided Tour Experience.
- The Walker Art Center has free gallery admission every Thursday evening for Target Nights, 5-9 p.m and every First Saturday for Family Day from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., with family activities including kids’ films, performances, art-making, games and family friendly food options from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- The Minnesota Children’s Museum Is now offering Free First Sunday every month thanks to Securian Financial! You must register online for free admission here. The museum also offers discounted daily admission or yearly passes to some families. Bring an EBT card, WIC letter or free or reduced lunch letter for a $3 daily admission or discounted passes. Details here.
- The Science Museum of Minnesota get a steep discount on a membership if you are in a limited income household. Details here.
- Join star-gazers on Friday nights at the Tate Laboratory of Physics & Astronomy for FREE public viewings and presentations. The Minnesota Institute for Astrophysics schedules public viewings every Friday evening during the fall and spring semesters. The presentations are held in the Tate Laboratory of Physics Room 501-02 at 8:00 p.m. followed by the observing session on the rooftop starting at 8:30 p.m., weather permitting. **Suspended temp due to C0vid**
- The Weisman Art Museum in Minneapolis is now open. Admission is always free. This glittering landmark is filled with a wide collection of important exhibits and their interpretations.