Online auctions are steadily gaining popularity. But it is hard to inspect or know what you’re bidding on if you can’t see the item in person. Luckily the Twin Cities is home to a number of online local auction sites where you can make that personal inspection beforehand, if necessary. Below is a listing of some of the more established auction sites in and around the Twin Cities area.
- Auction Masters out of Maple Grove handles all types of auctions from Jewelry to restaurant equipment. Unless otherwise stated, inspections are held at their warehouse in Maple Grove.
- Hines Auction Service has switched to primarily online only auctions. They handle items from real estate to antiques to personal property estates. The inspection site, unless otherwise stated, is located southeast of St. Paul in Ellsworth, WI.
- TCBid.com is an Twin Cities online auction site that offers preview inspections of items by appointment. Typical auction items include tools, office equipment, electronics and surplus items.
- CrankyApe is an online auction site that handles individual items similar to eBay. They specialize in vehicles and watercraft including RVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATVs. They also sell such items as lawn tractors, snowmobiles and bicycles. Although they sell nationally, they have a primary office locally located in Lake Elmo, which makes it a short drive to inspect your item and then take possession without having to worry about freight or shipping charges.
- Luther Auctions in North St. Paul has been around for years and specializes in Estates and Antiques. Outside of holidays, their auctions are held every Monday nigh starting at 6 p.m. If you haven’t experienced an auction in person it’s worth checking one out just for entertainment sake. It’s fun to see how much something actually goes for or better yet what kind of deals are out there. Best of all attending an auction is FREE.
- City of Minneapolis Police Department conducts in person auctions periodically selling bicycles and other general items. The schedule is posted on the police department website and all auctions are located at the Minneapolis Police Warehouse.
- K-Bid This auction site covers Minnesota and several neighboring states and has something for everyone. Auto, restaurant, business and estate sales can be found here. Sign up to get regular emails so you don’t miss a thing.
- State of Minnesota Online and in person auctions for a variety of surplus, unclaimed and forfeited items